Saturday, May 30, 2015

The metronome that is JL99

Well, this is what I have gone ahead and done. I plotted the lap timings of the podium finishers from the MotoGP round of Le Mans 2015. Even while the race was on, everybody had to mention how Jorge was hammering away lap after lap with metronomic precision. I think I heard the precise phrase being mentioned. But I decided to pull out the lap times and see for myself. And lo and behold, there they were, closely bunched up around the 01:33.500 mark, 12 laps out of the 28 in the race. And with the exception of the first lap starting from a stand still and the very last lap of the race, he had them all nicely bundled within a few tenths on either side. Compare that with the timings of Rossi and Dovi, and you'll know why it can be boring race when Lorenzo is in form and gets away at the front. Chances are, he will not put a step wrong and will only build on the gap to the next man. True, watching a metronome can be boring, but the music played to the beat, well, that's completely different.


No comments:

Post a Comment